About UsAbout Meike
WonderKids OT is owned and operated by Meike Vareschi, a specialist in Pediatric and Mental Health.
Meike VareschiBScOT, SPD PRO Level2
Meike was always drawn to working with children and connecting traditional occupational therapy work with mental health pediatric work. Since she received her BScOT degree in Germany in 1998, she has embarked on a rewarding career in occupational therapy, first in Germany and the United States and now in Canada. During her 11 years of practice in Canada, she has worked in several private pediatric OT clinics and also has been working in Mental Health for a little while at St. Paul’s Hospital.
Meike focuses on a strong sensory integration approach while supporting her clients in all areas of occupational performance. She has extensive experience working with Autism, ADHD, SPD, various chromosome disorders and development delays.
Meike is an effective, active and insightful listener and strongly believes in providing clinical services based on goals that are meaningful to the child and family. Her playful and fun style helps her develop a strong rapport with both children and families. She takes great satisfaction in empowering children to become more self-sufficient in both daily life and school activities.
Meike has a strong relationship with several community schools in the Lower Mainland. She provides assessment, consultations and workshops to teachers and parents and other professionals.
Meike’s professional education includes:
- SPD PRO Level 2 certification: Intensive Mentorship Program. The Level 2 course, Hands-On Advanced Treatment (STAR Centre USA 2013)
- Intensive Mentorship Program with Lucy Jane Miller: Evaluation, Diagnostic and Treatment of Sensory Processing Disorder (STAR Centre USA 2012)
- Sequential Oral Sensory SOS Feeding Approach: Feeding Solutions (USA 2012)
- Integrated Listening System ILS certified ( CA 2011)
- Handwriting courses with various programs and approaches (Germany and USA)
- Social skills development and emotion regulation (CA 2010)
- Autism and SPD conferences almost yearly
- Anxiety assessment and treatment (CA 2008, 2012)
- The Alert Program (CA 2006)
- Sensory Processing in Everyday Life, School Companion- Winnie Dunn, Victoria (CA 2005)
- MET Motivational Enhancement Therapy (Canada 2005)
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming NLP (CA 2003)
- DBT Dialectic Behaviour Therapy (Canada 2006)
- DIR Floortime with Rosemary White (USA, 2003, 2012)
- Wilbarger Protocol (CA 2004)
- Understanding and Treating Sensory Defensiveness - Pat Wilbarger (CA 2007)
- Neuro-Developmental Treatment approaches in Paediatrics (Germany 1999)
- Bobath (Germany 1999)
- Sensory Integration Theory and Practise (Germany 1999)
- Neurophysiology brain functioning (Germany 1998)
- Yoga Instructor (Canada 2005)
- Personal Trainer (USA 1999)
Meike is married with two active, young children. She enjoys all kinds of athletics such as running, hiking, biking, and skiing. She is an avid reader, loves the great outdoors, and enjoys travelling abroad.
Kristen NelsonBScKin, MOT, SPD PRO Level2
Kristen Nelson has a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology from the University of Alberta (2003) and a Master of Occupational Therapy from the University of British Columbia (2007). After graduation she moved to the beautiful Okanagan and worked at the Okanagan Simillkameen Neurological Society in Penticton on the Early Intensive Behavioral Intervention Autism team as well as the Early Intervention Team. In 2011 Kristen moved back to Vancouver and has worked in both Early Intervention and School Based Therapy. Kristen joined WonderKids in December 2012.
Kristen combines a Sensory Integration approach with all other areas of occupational performance. She has extensive experience working with autism, AD(H)D, SPD, various chromosome disorders and development delays. In addition to working with children, Kristen provides consultations and offers training to teachers, parents and other professionals.
Kristen has always been drawn to a career with children and loves to work together with families to meet a child’s functional goals. Kristen is a fun, playful therapist who believes strongly that relationship and rapport are a key component to effective and meaningful therapy.
Kristen’s professional education includes:
- SPD PRO Level 2 certification: Intensive Mentorship Program: The Level 2 course, Hands-On Advanced Treatment (STAR Centre USA 2013)
- Intensive Mentorship Program Level 1 with Lucy Jane Miller: Evaluation, Diagnostic and Treatment of Sensory Processing Disorder (STAR Centre USA 2012)
- Sequential Oral Sensory SOS Feeding Approach: Feeding Solutions (USA 2012)
- Integrated Listening System ILS certified (CA 2011)
- Handwriting Without Tears (CA 2012)
- Utilizing a Sensory Integration Theoretical Framework in the Home, School and Preschool (Ellen Yack, May 2012)
- Toilet Training for Everyone- It’s Never Too Late! (Pat Mirenda Online, May 2012)
- Handwriting Without Tears (March 2012)
- Integrated Listening Systems, Practitioner Training Course (February, 2011)
- Cultural Safety (Alison Gerlach, Fall 2011)
- ABC’s of Mental Health in Foster Care (Dr. Vanessa Lapointe, February 2010)
- Connections- Treatment of Sensory Processing Disorders (Kim Barthel, February 2009)
- Reference and Regulate (David Loyst September 2009)
- Partners in Movement Level 1 (Vickie Mead, September 2008)
- DIR/Floortime Model Basic Course (June, 2008)
- Autism Community Training (various worshops): Nancy Minshew, Beth Ann Malow, Lucy Jane Miller, Amy Wetherby, Geraldine Dawson and Sally Rogers
- Student Practicum Supervisor for UBC Occupational Therapy Students (Fall 2008, fall 2009)
Our newly constructed sensory integration clinic is located in an intimate home setting. The clinic incorporates indoor and outdoor treatment areas.
In this comfortable and non-clinical setting, our clients can experience the full spectrum of occupational therapy. We pride ourselves on using evidence-based practice in a friendly and safe environment. We adhere to high ethical standards and best practices.
About our instructors
Our OT staff are experts in Sensory Integration Treatment but we combine SI with other “best-practice” approaches. Our approach is practical and results-driven and is always based on your priorities.
Our therapists love kids. However, the gauge of a truly advanced therapist is their ability to turn over “Magic Moments” with the child to you. Those amazing moments of joy when your child has just accomplished the impossible belong to, and are given back to you.
• In good standing with the COTBC
• Registered with ACT BC on the RASP list
• SI trained
• ILS practitioner trained
• Have extensive experience providing intensive treatment
for special needs children
• Strive to continuous learning and experience with ongoing
numerous continuing education courses and credits
Consultations and workshops
WonderKids OT offers individual consultations toparents, caregivers, schools and other institutions upon request. We have a strong commitment to community and participate in a variety of support groups and provide educational programs to increase community awareness of childhood disability and mental health.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Testimonials for Meike Vareschi
"Meike is an amazing occupational therapist and a wonderful support to our family in dealing with the difficulties and challenges we face on a daily basis. Meike's work with our daughter, who has multiple medical issues/diagnosis', has been life-changing. Our daughter has made significant progress which has given her the benefit of experiencing aspects of childhood she previously could not experience given her issues and challenges. Meike's professional and caring demeanor toward our daughter makes every visit an enjoyable, yet therapeutic one. Wonderkids OT is truly an invaluable therapy resource!" L. and D. - parents of Z.
"Our son has improved leaps and bounds over the past few years. Thank you for the great work!" J. Wijaya
"Meike Vareschi has been a kind and effective part of our daughter's life for a long time now; footage of her work helps show others that our daughter's boundaries are broader than they might expect."
Courtney HallBSc, MOT
Throughout Courtney’s undergraduate degree, she worked with children with autism at the Chris Rose Therapy Centre for Children with Autism in Kamloops, and this led her to pursue a career in occupational therapy. Once Courtney completed her Bachelor of Science degree, she entered the Master of Occupational Therapy program at the University of British Columbia. Since completing the MOT program in 2007, her area of focus has always been working with children and she continues to expand on her knowledge through attending conferences and workshops in the field of paediatric occupational therapy.
Prior to joining the WonderKids OT team, Courtney worked at two child development centres in the lower mainland. Courtney combines a Sensory Integration approach with all other areas of occupational performance. She has wide experience working with autism, AD(H)D, SPD, various chromosome disorders and development delays. Courtney believes that working with children and their families is about building a partnership, and goals should be meaningful and functional to a child and their family.
Courtney is a fun and active therapist who easily builds rapport with children and families. Her education and training shines through her therapy sessions and she always works from a foundation and skills and learning.
Courtney is an active individual and loves any opportunity to bike, swim, run or do yoga, as well as getting outside with her son and dog. Courtney feels that children need to be given plenty of exposure to physical activity, so that they can focus and learn, as well as grow up to be confident and active adults.
Courtney is registered with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC) and with the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT).
Courtney’s professional education includes:
- ILS Integrated Listening Therapy
- Anxiety and Self-regulation courses
- Self-Regulation: The Pathway to Learning (CA, 2013)
- Social Discover and Discovering Social Strategies & Thinking about Teaching and Teaching Thinking (CA, 2012)
- Guidelines of Discipline – Gordon Neufeld Presentation (CA, 2012)
- Feeding and Swallowing Disorders in Infants: Assessment and Management (CA, 2011)
- Paediatric Symposium 2011 (CA, 2011)
- Fundamental Skills for Using Standardized Assessments Part 2: Hands-on Practice with Tests and Children (CA, 2009)
- Oral-Motor Feeding Course (CA, 2009)
- Paediatric Symposium 2009 (CA, 2009)
- Sensory Based Motor Dysfunction Course (CA, 2008)
- Paediatric Upper Extremity Splinting with Orfit (CA, 2008)
- Picky Eaters vs. Problem Feeders: The SOS Approach to Feeding (USA, 2008)
Sarah Fenrich, BScOT, SPD PRO Level 1 is currently on maternity leave.