Jill graduated with a Masters of Science in Occupational Therapy from the University of Alberta in 2013. Prior to this, she completed her Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics at St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia in 2010 then slowly migrated west.
More about Jillian
Most of her career was spent in Calgary, AB, where she worked extensively with children and their families in both the school and home setting. She ran her own private Occupational Therapy practice for 3 years, prior to moving to Vancouver in 2019.
Jill has a passion for helping others and has dedicated her career to helping children and their families engage more fully in their everyday lives. She believes that play and exercise is medicine, which shines through in her playful approach with children to keep sessions fun, active, and engaging!
Jill has experience working with children with a wide range of needs including but not limited to Autism Spectrum Disorder, AD(H)D, Anxiety, Sensory Processing Disorder, Developmental Coordination Disorder, Pathological Demand Avoidance, Learning Disabilities and developmental delays.
Jill values the importance of a team approach and collaboration between parents, children, teachers, and other members of the multidisciplinary team. She will work with you to develop functional goals tailored to each individual child. She has experience assessing and treating needs in the areas of self-care (e.g., feeding, dressing, hygiene, toileting, etc.), play and social skills, emotional regulation, sensory processing, fine and gross motor skills, executive functioning, and mental health (e.g., anxiety, self-esteem, etc.).
Jill is always signing up for professional developmental opportunities to remain current with the evidence and best practices for the OT profession.
She is a member in good standing with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia and is a Registered Autism Service Provider (RASP)
Outside of work you can usually find Jill playing golf, basketball, skiing/hiking in the mountains, or planning her next adventure!
Jill’s Professional Education includes:
- Sarah Ward: Anxiety and Executive Functioning
- Various courses on Anxiety and attachment-based parenting from the Neufeld Institute
- PEERS® (The Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills) for Adolescents Certified Training Seminar: Parent-Assisted Intervention
- Intensive Mentorship Program Level 1 with Lucy Jane Miller: Evaluation, Diagnostic and Treatment of Sensory Processing Disorder
- Childhood Autism Spectrum Disorder: Best Occupational Therapy Practice
- Picky Eaters vs. Problem Feeders: The Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) Approach to Feeding
- SOS Advanced Webinars (Children with Gastroesophageal Reflux & Feeding the Child on the Autism Spectrum)
- Kim Barthel: Coaching Caregivers
- Kim Barthel: Becoming a Behavioural Detective: Understanding and Supporting Complex Behaviour
- Zones of Regulation® with Leah Kuypers
- Make Social Learning Stick: Practical Tools to Build Social Regulation
- Social Thinking®: Exploring Social Executive Functioning in 4-7 year olds
- Interoception: The Eighth Sensory System with Kelly Mahler
- Superflex® and Friends Take on Social Emotional Learning and the Common Core Standards
- Carol Gray’s Social Stories
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)® Level 1
- Handwriting Without Tears K-5