Kristen Nelson, BScKin, MOT, SPD PRO Level2
Kristen Nelson has a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology from the University of Alberta (2003) and a Master of Occupational Therapy from the University of British Columbia (2007). After graduation she moved to the beautiful Okanagan and worked at the Okanagan Simillkameen Neurological Society in Penticton on the Early Intensive Behavioral Intervention Autism team as well as the Early Intervention Team. In 2011 Kristen moved back to Vancouver and has worked in both Early Intervention and School Based Therapy. Kristen joined WonderKids in December 2012.
Kristen combines a Sensory Integration approach with all other areas of occupational performance. She has extensive experience working with autism, AD(H)D, SPD, various chromosome disorders and development delays. In addition to working with children, Kristen provides consultations and offers training to teachers, parents and other professionals.
Kristen has always been drawn to a career with children and loves to work together with families to meet a child’s functional goals. Kristen is a fun, playful therapist who believes strongly that relationship and rapport are a key component to effective and meaningful therapy.
Kristen’s professional education includes:
- Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) Approach to Feeding Advanced Workshop (CAN 2013)
- SPD PRO Level 2 certification: Intensive Mentorship Program: The Level 2 course, Hands-On Advanced Treatment (STAR Centre USA 2013)
- Intensive Mentorship Program Level 1 with Lucy Jane Miller: Evaluation, Diagnostic and Treatment of Sensory Processing Disorder (STAR Centre USA 2012)
- Sequential Oral Sensory SOS Feeding Approach: Feeding Solutions (USA 2012)
- Integrated Listening System ILS certified (CA 2011)
- Handwriting Without Tears (CA 2012)
- Utilizing a Sensory Integration Theoretical Framework in the Home, School and Preschool (Ellen Yack, May 2012)
- Toilet Training for Everyone- It’s Never Too Late! (Pat Mirenda Online, May 2012)
- Handwriting Without Tears (March 2012)
- Integrated Listening Systems, Practitioner Training Course (February, 2011)
- Cultural Safety (Alison Gerlach, Fall 2011)
- ABC’s of Mental Health in Foster Care (Dr. Vanessa Lapointe, February 2010)
- Connections- Treatment of Sensory Processing Disorders (Kim Barthel, February 2009)
- Reference and Regulate (David Loyst September 2009)
- Partners in Movement Level 1 (Vickie Mead, September 2008)
- DIR/Floortime Model Basic Course (June, 2008)
- Autism Community Training (various worshops): Nancy Minshew, Beth Ann Malow, Lucy Jane Miller, Amy Wetherby, Geraldine Dawson and Sally Rogers
- Student Practicum Supervisor for UBC Occupational Therapy Students (Fall 2008, Fall 2009)